Draco

Builders and/or Owners of Caledonia Yawls are invited to 'register' their Caledonia Yawl here. Please start a new thread for each boat, giving the thread the boat's name. No other new threads here please.

Moderators: Mike, nick

Draco

Postby Ernie Fasse » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:05 pm

We finally had the shakedown trip of the CY "Draco", which during construction I called "Dragonet". (My wife hated that name.) I built the hull, and the spars were built by Traditional Boatworks in San Diego. Their spars are much prettier than mine would have been. I opted for the three-sail rig and the Norwegian style tiller. The hull is half-decked, with a motor well. The aft bulkhead is six inches forward of the plans. The deck construction is almost completely different than the plans. For one thing, they're much heavier built so that you can sit or walk on them without fear. Plus they have hatch covered compartments for storage. There are belaying pin rails, which work great.

We plan to sail mostly on the bigger lakes in Arizona such as Lake Pleasant and Lake Roosevelt, with occasional trips to San Diego. The following pictures are from a shakedown trip on Lake Pleasant. I was single-handing so my wife could take pictures. As a result, there are some rigging problems that couldn't readily be fixed.

Ernie
Ernie Fasse

Re: Draco

Postby Tony » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I purchased Draco (built by Ernie Fasse) from John Merrell this month and he delivered the boat to me in the mountains of north Georgia about a week ago. I plan to keep her at Lake Burton, near Clayton, GA, and sail her there too, among other places. It's likely her name will change when I can arrange the proper ceremony. Now for the first time, I have two sailboats, further complicating life. The other one is a big cutter, currently lying in Mobile.
Tony

Pictures of Draco

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Pictures of Draco from Ernie Fass
Attachments
ErnieFass_Draco_01.jpg
ErnieFass_Draco_01.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1811 times
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Pictures of Draco

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:22 pm