Revival of a 'raid' in BC in the offing

Listings of events of interest - Please feel free to post events here, preferably with a link to to who is sponsoring the event.

Moderators: Mike, nick

Revival of a 'raid' in BC in the offing

Postby John_in_Van » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi all,

Some of you may already have heard of plans to hold a 'raid' for smallish boats in BC, Canada, this year. Raids of this kind normally have nothing to do with rape and pillage, but are something between a cruise in company and a race. The competitive element keeps everyone on their toes, but it should not be taken [i]too[i] seriously, given the diversity of the boats involved and the absence of handicapping (I will probably be made to walk the plank for saying that).

This year's event is being organised by Quill Goldman, a boatbuilder from Silva Bay on Gabriola Island. He has outlined several options, both in the Gulf Islands and up the Strait of Georgia to Quadra Island. As things stand, there may be two raids: a Gulf Islands event in May and a Strait event in August. Much will depend on the number of boats that sign up. Quill plans to provide all meals for participants, obviating the need to lug cooking equipment around, and to have a mothership or two to carry gear, deal with contingencies and serve as a platform for meals and overnight stops.

Quill will be delighted to hear from you.

Details and discussion can be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153597811385228/.

Cheers,
John
John_in_Van

Return to Events