Can you sail a yawl under main alone?

A place to discuss best practices and techniques for boat handling.

Moderators: Mike, nick

Can you sail a yawl under main alone?

Postby Scott Mason » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am

Doh!!!!!!

First "sail" of the season, beautiful weather and breeze and this numbskull left the mizzen mast and sail hanging in the garage. So rather than waste 2 hours retrieving it, during which time the wind would have died (it did) we motored to an island and hiked/picniced/swam. Lovely day over all but it would have been better if we could have sailed.

So would it have been possible to sail without the mizzen with the mainsail stepped in the forward position? I did not build in the middle mainsail step for mainsail only. I decided that without the mizzen the main center of effort would be too far forward and would lead to dangerous lee helm. Is my thinking correct?

Scott
Scott Mason

Re: Can you sail a yawl under main alone?

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 pm

I think shifting the center of effort too far forward does accentuate the dreaded lee helm. Shifting the center aft accentuates weather helm, which is why we heave to so nicely under mizzen alone. PS - I forget things all the time. I keep intending to make check lists, but I keep forgetting.... Still waiting for the gale warning to drop here .... :(
Cheers,
Steve
7plank CY, Swallow
Steve

Re: Can you sail a yawl under main alone?

Postby ben » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:08 pm

If I remember correctly the plans show two mast steps, one for use with the mizzen, and one for sailing without. I built mine without the mizzen. I have no mizzen mast and my single mast step is in the position for use wthout it. My boat sails fine and is perfect for me. I have thought about doing the surgery to get the mizzen in. Most others here will say I should do it, but for me it may well be a case of 'what i've never had I'll never miss'.

Next time you go out try it without and see how you go.
ben

Return to Seamanship