Questions about gunter gaff rigged CY...

A place to discuss best practices and techniques for boat handling.

Moderators: Mike, nick

Questions about gunter gaff rigged CY...

Postby mayrel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm a new member of this site, and a new owner of Ernie Fasse's "Draco" CY. Ernie opted for the same rig as CrazyBird, gunter gaff rig. Are there any other owners with this rig and would be willing to help me sort it out. For example, I've sorted out how to lace the sails, raise the main and gaff, but I'm not sure I need a down haul for the main? I understand the balanced lug requires a down haul, just not sure if the gunter gaff main does? There are six holes in the boom yoke, so I assume I could run a line from two of these with a bowline and attach the end to one of the belaying pins which are very close to the mast. Or maybe I should install a cleat on the mast for this line? Or maybe since the boom is rigged with a mid-boom main sheet, I don't need a down haul? I've never sailed a boat rigged this way, so I'm purely a novice. I did own a SeaPearl 21, but I doubt that can compare. Any help and/or recommended sources for sailing this rig will be greatly appreciated....John
mayrel

Re: Questions about gunter gaff rigged CY...

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:54 am

Hi,

The short answer is yes, you want a downhaul. These pages may help you decide how to do it.

http://www.thecheappages.com/odd/tiphys.html

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=405702

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/gis-sail-tweaking-142194/

Good luck,
Mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Postby mayrel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Mike,
I added a single block on the underside of the boom, simply laced it on through the two holes in the yoke/jaws closest to the mast. I'll run a line through this block and attach each end to the belaying pins next to the mast. I think the block will enhance the boom movement from side to side, yet with the two ends of the line secured to either side of the mast with corresponding belaying pins, I think this will work. We'll see. I may be complicating this with the block and line running to either side of the mast? The idea is to keep the boom/tack of the sail snugged down and this should do it. If it doesn't work, I'll try something different...thanks for your help...John
mayrel

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 pm

John,
I had forgotten all about Roger Coulter's gunter rigged CY. You'll see that the down haul is a very simple line and in this picture is not actually cleated down on the small cleat because of very light air.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114593310839969319263/albums/5231489063093551345/5231490250344586306?banner=pwa

For all of his albums, try this page https://plus.google.com/114593310839969319263/photos?banner=pwa

Enjoy,
Mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Postby mayrel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am

Mike,
I noticed Roger's tiller handle is much longer than mine, a longer tiller handle is needed for sure. Additionally, there needs to be a means to secure the tiller handle in order to single handle this boat. With a longer tiller handle, there also needs to be a way to keep the handle from chaffing on the railing; maybe lacing the handle with line would do the trick?
I've seen some tiller handles which are formed to go around the mizzen mast eliminating the push-pull design and having a straight tiller connected to the rudder. I'm not sure how well this works in actual practice? I like the push-pull design, but don't like the tiller falling over board or not having a means to secure it. I've seen one owner who fabricated a cradle and bungie to secure the tiller handle; this seems like a good solution.
I also think adding a swivel block and cleat for the mainsheet would work better than having a fairlead and cleat on the centerboard. The swivel block and cleat as well as the jib sheet fairleads/cleats could be relocated further forward on the centerboard trunk; this would allow the helmsman to sit further forward.
These modifications would enhance single handling this boat, but launching and retrieving with any wind is still a two man operation. I'm not sure guides could be used due to the double ended hull? Where you need the guides are in the aft section of the trailer; I suppose once the bow is lined up with the keel rollers, the guides would hold the hull from slipping sideways as you winched her on the trailer. I'm not sure how far the trailer should be submerged when launching and retrieving; this could be my problem? I do know if you don't keep her absolutely centered, she'll slip off the rollers at the bow. This happened and dinged the keel; fortunately I was able to sand, epoxy and repaint this ding in the keel and there was no damage to the hull.
As always, any comments/suggestions will be beneficial to all newbie CY owners. I'm still going to sell this boat, but the new owner will need to decide how to rig the boat to their liking, so maybe I can provide options to them to consider. I hate to make any changes since I'm intending to sell the boat. The boat is perfectly fine with crew to assist in launching/retrieving and sailing. John
mayrel

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm

John,

If you're going to sell the boat, my suggestion is to NOT make any changes. Two reasons; it is a needless cost to you and the new owner may well have their own ideas about how they want to rig the boat.

If you start making changes, you may as well keep the boat. CYs can be very seductive that way, once you have one it's difficult to let go.

Best regards,
Mike

p.s. If I did not already have two boats, I'd be very tempted to buy Draco myself.
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Return to Seamanship