Halyard Options

A place to discuss best practices and techniques for boat handling.

Moderators: Mike, nick

Halyard Options

Postby richs » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:30 pm

I am looking to change the halyard and the Bee Hole that runs it through the mast. My thought is that I want to use a Cheek Block mounted to the top of the mast with the halyard run down to a standing deck block. The advantage would make raising and lowering much easier. I have a seven strake Caledonia with a 18 1/2 foot mast. I'm tired of fighting the halyard because of friction with bee hole. Any ideas? Anyone have any other options?
richs

Re: Halyard Options

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:52 am

Hi,
An alternative to using an external block is open the bee hole and put a pulley wheel on an axle pin there. That effectively turns the end of the mast into a block. A few people have done that.
Regards,
Mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Halyard Options

Postby Garth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:26 pm

I tried the sheave in the mast approach. It certainly looks tidy, but you have to make sure that the line has enough room to run well and no more. Otherwise it is possible to have it stick horribly if it comes off the sheave. Don't ask me how I know that! My current approach, for my lug yawl rigged Ness Yawl, is an external block mounted to the mast. It always runs perfectly, was trivial to install, and requires no fussing. I do have a bee hole at the top of the mizzen, but since I don't have to raise and lower that sail regularly - only for reefing, otherwise it just stays on the mast - it's not a problem.

Cheers,
Garth
Garth

Return to Seamanship