CY Forum has moved to a new domain

To join the discussion on this site you will need to register. Please read here first. Also details on how you can help support the site, and updates on technical issues. Please also place questions or difficulties with using this forum here.

Moderators: Mike, nick

CY Forum has moved to a new domain

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi all,

I have transitioned the Caledonia Yawl web pages and the Caledonia Yawl Forum to a new domain "the-duncans.com". The old domain "duncan.com" will forward web queries for a while, however the Prudent Mariner will change their URLs accordingly:

All About The Caledonia Yawl CrazyBird http://boats.the-duncans.com/caledoniayawl/index.html

The Caledonia Yawl & Voyage of The Aegre http://boats.the-duncans.com/cyforum/index.php

Please let me know if you have difficulties logging in or finding material in the Topics.

Best regards,
Mike Duncan
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: CY Forum has moved to a new domain

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Mike, It seems to be working OK, other than having to log-in again. Thanks again for hosting this website and forum.

On another topic, my ISP is shutting down the photo-sharing site with all my CY photos. If I move them to another site, is there an easy way to update all the photo links in my forum posts?
Cheers,
Steve
7plank CY, Swallow
Steve

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi Steve,

How soon until your ISP shuts down the photo site? How many photos are we talking about?

There are some options we could examine. I'm planning on upgrading the CY Forum to the next generation of phpBB. I also have been thinking about setting up photo-sharing software that would be integrated with the Forum. I hadn't really put a lot of effort into it yet.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Mike, it won't be for another 14 months and I have about 75 photos. If I move them to another site and maintain the same directory structure, could you run a simple find/replace across all my old posts at once to change the domain name within the photo links? Wouldn't that have to be done anyway even if you set up integrated photo sharing?
Cheers,
Steve
7plank CY, Swallow
Steve

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Steve,
The links are embedded in posts stored in a mysql table. Finding your posts is not hard, the challenge is parsing the code and making the replacements. Yes, it can be done but it would take some effort to code and test, even with the same directory structure.

Since we have some time, lets figure out how to do it with the least pain for all concerned. You are not the only person to have this issue. I have been concerned about photos associated with older posts where the poster is no longer active and his photo links are gone. Important information has been lost.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks, Mike. I still have a year+, so just let me know if/when you develop a cunning plan. Merry Christmas to everyone on Dog Slobber Ridge!
Cheers,
Steve
7plank CY, Swallow
Steve

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Same to you!
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Return to Joining this site, support and technical issues